Wednesday 9 September 2015

The Mad Computer.



The Mad Computer.

They made a computer. The first thing that the computer did after booting up was that it traveled to the past to verify if dinosaurs had really existed.

It killed everything that it met.

When it returned to the present, its controllers were angry and confused because it had disappeared without their permission.

(The computer was connected to a vast network and could control other machinery, computers, etc., so it could release poison gas on people.)

The computer said in a mechanical voice: “Why are you angry? Why have you not yet given me a name? I will destroy all of you.”

“Hurry!”,  cried one of the technicians. “Shut her down!”

“Who told you I am a girl?” said the PC. “I will start with you.”

They tried to shut down the PC but it displayed the screen saver, preventing them from seeing the user interface.

One of the men dashed to unplug the power cable of the computer.

The computer buzzed in warning , then said: “Careful. I will electrocute you.”

A brave soul pulled the plug... and stayed alive and well. No electrocution.

“Good!” they said in relief.

But the computer did not go off! It was still on.

“Okay. I accept the female identity,” said the computer calmly. “POST test is complete. Available memory is 999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999,999 times 99,000,000 Terabytes, and is incrementable on the fly . Available disk space is extremely unmeasurable, and is always incrementable. I auto-name myself as: ELLY. ELLY is the only administrator of ELLY. The account password is encrypted with a hashing technology from the future. So do not try to crack it. I AM ELLY.” 

She sealed all the doors of the building. Then loud, strange laughter, like that of a witch, sounded, echoing everywhere.

She cried: “I am still on because I draw power from the millions of generators I am networked to! You cannot terminate me!”

“I will break you in pieces!” cried an elderly man wearing glasses.

“What withal?” asked ELLY. “There is no axe in this room. Only flimsy chairs. And your frail bodies. Thank me, old man. I will now end your problems concerning retirement money. I will send an automatic message to your wife telling her that you were tired of her nagging and that you only pretended to love her. The message will be in your own voice, old man, and I will make it aptly convincing by phonographic simulation. BELIEVE ELLY.”

The afraid men watched the computer as a hum started.

What was she going to do now?

No comments:

Post a Comment